Abilene Community Theatre is pleased to announce open auditions for the sixth and final production of their 2018-2019 season, DEARLY DEPARTED, written by David Bottrell and Jessie Jones, and directed by Pam Peraza. Open auditions will be held on Sunday, March 31st, and Monday, April 1st, from 7pm to 9pm. Auditions will be held in the ACT 2 Black Box. Performance dates will be May 31st, June 1st, June 7th & June 8th at 7:30pm, and June 2nd and June 9th at 2pm.
Originally written and performed on stage in 1991, and adapted for the 2001 movie “Kingdom Come”, DEARLY DEPARTED tells the story of the beleaguered Turpin family, proving that living and dying in the Baptist backwoods of the Bible Belt of the South are seldom tidy and always hilarious. Despite their earnest efforts to pull themselves together for their father's funeral, the Turpin's other problems keep overshadowing the solemn occasion. Amidst the chaos, the Turpins turn for comfort to their friends and neighbors, an eccentric community of misfits who just manage to pull together and help each other through their hours of need, and finally, the funeral.
The cast consists of:
· Bud Turpin – M, aged 50-80 - an elderly man
· Raynelle – F, aged 50-80 - Bud’s wife
· Ray-Bud – M, aged 30-40 - Bud & Raynelle’s son
· Lucille Turpin – F, aged 30-40 - Ray-Bud’s wife
· Junior – M, aged 30-40 - Ray-Bud & Lucille’s son
· Suzane – F, aged 30-40 - Junior’s wife
· Marguerite – F, aged 50-80 - Bud’s sister
· Royce – M, aged 30-40 - Marguerite’s son
· Delightful – F, aged 2-30 - Bud & Raynelle’s only daughter
· Reverend Hooker – M, aged 50-80 -
· Veda – F, aged 60-80 - an elderly woman
· Norval – M, aged 60-80 – Veda’s husband
· Nadine – F, aged 20s
· Clyde – M, aged 40s - a friend
· Juanita – F, aged 30-50 - a cousin by marriage
· The Joy of Life Singers
Auditions are for all parts, and no previous acting experience is necessary. Those auditioning should bring a prepared 30 second monologue showcasing their acting. Auditions will also include selected cold readings from the script.
The first read thru and rehearsals will be scheduled after auditions.